Saturday, July 18, 2009

Do the risks outweigh the benefits? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?

I'm a glutton for punishment.

This weekend I am at Messiah spending time with Kayla and Becca and Cody. On the way up Friday I txted a certain male friend (who will remain nameless...) to see if he wanted to hang out. The conversation ended in dinner plans for Saturday night at his house, me and whoever else wanted to come. (back-track a bit. my mom told me dinner probably wasn't a good idea...but did i listen? no. was it a good idea in the long run? yes and no. Am i a glutton for punishment? yes.)
Kayla declined, Cody had to work, so it was just me and Becca. So we went over and he had made an excellent, yummy dinner for us. over dinner we talked about a situation that has been prevalent in our lives for a while. (I'm not going into detail. it's fine...) But as we were talking about this, I felt myself getting inwardly bitchier by the second. I couldn't figure out why, but later it hit me. I had been telling myself for weeks that i was okay with the way that the situation was going. I was....until the situation switched. as in......now this certain unnamed person doesn't know what to do. I kept asking him (seriously and jokingly) "Do the riskis otweigh the benefits? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?" And because he is indecisive, he has unknowingly made my life easier, or harder. but of course, being tha girl that i am, my life is now harder. I have two options: run, and keep lying to myself, or tell the person the truth and risk a broken heart.
I've only ever had my heart seriously broken once. And it wasn't enjoyable. and i'm going to do everything in my power to avoid another one. as he put it tonight, "gaping holes" are not my idea of a fun time. I can think of a thousand more fun things than getting my heart broken. Then again, i can think of a thousand good things that COULD happen if i just told the truth. So now, I'm left with these questions: "Do the risks outweigh the benefits? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?"

footnote: i guess i have a third option.... move on. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment